45 Minutes On The Street With The X-T1 & 56mm f1.2

35mmStreet.com-X-T1-7

I spent 45 minutes shooting on the streets today with the Fuji X-T1 and the 56mm f1.2. As the name of this blog suggests, I like to shoot street with a 35mm focal length, so with the 56mm coming out at 85mm (with the 1.5 crop), this was way different from what I usually shoot (on the street anyway). I fired off a shot to see how my exposure was looking. As I was in Aperture Priority Mode it was really to see if I needed any exposure compensation. A woman was walking in front of me and I stopped and took a shot of the back of her head (it was only for exposure after all). When the shot was previewed for half a second in my viewfinder I could see that not only did this lens look stunning, but the X-T1 focuses really quick. My settings were Auto ISO 3200 with a minimum shutter speed of 1/125th sec and my aperture was set to f2.8. Usually I would be shooting street photography with my X100 at f8 to give me a bit of leeway with the focus and moving subjects, but this was a new experience in the world of X.

I was curious to see if the 23mm f1.4 would perform as well, and if the X-T1 would become my new go to camera for street, even though I had no intention of this new body being my street camera. But to be honest, I was enjoying the 56mm too much and I decided that the 23mm would have to wait for another day when it could have the X-T1 all to it’s self. So I’m sure that will be my next blog post here soon.

Feel free to ask any questions about the X-T1 in the comments.

35mmStreet.com-X-T1-1 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-2 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-3 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-6 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-9 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-10 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-12 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-13 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-14 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-15 35mmStreet.com-X-T1-5

About these ads

7 responses

1. Streetshooter

Derek,
    Looks like you may have found a new stance in your photos. That 56 on the XT1 seems to work well with you and I wish you well, good luck.
    Don

March 13, 2014 at 22:21

2. Thanks Don. I’m looking forward to doing more with it…and of course trying the 23mm on the X-T1.

Cheers
    Derek.

March 13, 2014 at 22:45

• Streetshooter

The 23 is a killer. It’s one of the best lenses ever made by man…woman also.

March 13, 2014 at 23:17

3. Hi Derek, fantastic images. Is the mono in camera or post processed? How does the X-T1 “feel” compared to the x-100?

March 14, 2014 at 11:13

• Thanks Andy

All of these (and 99% on this blog) are shot in colour and converted to B&W using Nik Silver Effex Pro. I don’t shoot much in camera B&W but when I do, I shoot without the colour filters and +1 on the Sharpness, Highlights and shadows. Then -1 on the Noise Reduction. I have this saved to Custom Setting 3.

The X-T1 is closest to the X100 when it’s paired with the 18mm or 27mm (I don’t have a 27 at this point). The big difference is the bulging (right hand grip and back thumb grip, which make the x-T1 way more secure in your hand. Add to that the rubber on the grip is more sticky (like on a Nikon DSLR). I’m more comfortable shooting the X100 on the street (especially with a half case to beef it up), but I’d love to see all the features of the X-T1 in an X100 body, including the ISO dial. But not at the expense of losing the OVF, I’d rather lose the built in flash.

There’s still not much better on the street than an X100 or better still X100s. The X-T1 out-performs it, but a rangefinder style camera IS street photography.

Derek.

March 14, 2014 at 15:40

4. Fantastic images

March 15, 2014 at 16:22

5. junkstuffrichard

Nice work. How do you think 85mm works for street photography? You’re back a fair way to get the wider shot. Do you think that offers advantages for capturing more candid moments? Do you think losing the open look of a wider lens is a problem? Any thoughts on how you think the wide/short tele compares would be interesting.

April 7, 2014 at 07:00